Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mother's Day

I spent a very nice Mother's Day Sunday last weekend with my wonderful Mom.  How grateful I am for my Mom...her place in my life, the example she's given of a faithful walk with the Lord, the selfless love she's demonstrated to me and our family consistently over the years, walking with me through many challenging seasons, her friendship, and for all the time I've been blessed to spend with her.   


I was also thankful to visit with both of my grandmother's last weekend.  They, too, have both had special roles in my life and I was glad to celebrate them as well. 

Grammy (Mom's mother) has loved us well with her gentle spirit, positive outlook, and welcoming arms and was always available to watch my sister and me for my Mom while we were growing up.  She was the type of grandmother who would just sit and hold us for hours.  No matter how many children or grandchildren or great-grandchildren or great-great-grandchildren (!) there are to vie for her attention (and there's A LOT of us), she always has enough love and hugs to go around!  The most meaningful thing we can give to her now is our time so a visit to her last weekend made her very happy. 

Mawmaw (Dad's mother) has the gift of expressing love and care through her generosity and hospitality. Whether it is making sure I always have a satin pillow case on which to lay my head, rubbing her special moisturizing cream on my face before bed, or filling my tummy with delicious foods, she has taken care of me in such unique ways over the years.  I'm hoping some of her hospitable ways, cooking skills, and sewing abilities have rubbed off on me.  Although I am fairly strict about sticking to a gluten-free diet, I couldn't help but make an exception on Mother's Day for Mawmaw's strawberry shortcake with homemade pound cake!

I am incredibly thankful for my mother and grandmothers...

No comments:

Post a Comment