Thursday, May 26, 2011

Duck Update

The ducks have been quite the neighborhood entertainment over the last 2 weeks.  Of course, I've missed most of the excitement, but I've heard that there have been many visitors and even some duck holding going on (hold at your own risk...your clothes may end up soiled if you know what I mean).  There ended up being a total of 19 ducklings.  We are still are amazed that Mama Duck Daisy could sit on this many ducks at one time.


Dad, who likes to wheel and deal, found a lady who wanted to buy 5 of the ducks.  He figured that having 19 ducklings in their yard was a bit much and that they could spare a few and he also wanted to recoup some of the money he'd spent on supplies and food for them. Somehow the lady left with 15 of them last Thursday!  I was sad at first at the thought of only 4 left (and also after hearing how crazy Daisy reacted when 15 of her babies were taken away), but I then realized that they were probably better off.  This lady wanted them for her pond way out in the county where we are sure they stand a much better chance of surviving.  Baby ducks, mallards, and geese (all of which we have around here in the canal these days) seem to have a hard time not becoming some other animals snack or dinner. 




Their little wings growing in look so funny as they keep tryinig to flap them

No comments:

Post a Comment