Tuesday, December 20, 2011

O Christmas Tree...times three!

It has become a tradition of sorts for me to decorate three trees every year...

#1 - My tree
#2 - My parents' tree
 One of my favorite ornaments on my parents' tree...Santa in a hammock that I picked out on a family trip to Michigan back in '89.


#3 - A ceramic tree
This particular tree and fixture in my parents' house at Christmas holds great sentimental value.  My Great Grandmother (on my Dad's side) lived till she was 103 so I was fortunate to be able to get to know her and have memories of her even though she lived farther away.  One of the stand out memories I have of visiting her at Christmas was admiring this 18-inch tall ceramic tree that she always had sitting in the window (I believe) of her modest home in the hills of North Carolina.  The plastic pegs with varied colors, shapes, and sizes glowed when placed in the holes of the tree.  I'm sure I was tempted to play with the pieces but doubt I ever actually touched it. 

Many years after those memories were recorded in my mind, Mawmaw gave us our very own ceramic tree.  And it was exactly like Great Grandma's...or at least how I remember it.  Decorating this tree is definitely something that Mom always "saves" for me because of how much I enjoy it.  And now I get to play with the pieces.  Having the personality that I do, this becomes a work of art carefully created.  Of course, I always aim to make sure that no similar colors or shapes are right beside each other.  The longer it takes, the longer I have to enjoy the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment