We left Nairobi bright and early on Saturday morning and pulled into the parking lot of the Chapel back home just shy of midnight on the same day. 26+ hours of travel all squeezed into one day! Despite it being the longest day of my life (literally) with not a lot of sleep, the flights were smooth and easy and seemed to pass by quickly thanks to movies and food and card games and music and entertainment from my teammates. For as much angst as I have about flying (and even more so across the ocean to another country), all of our flights were a breeze. Bring on more international trips!
Nairobi -> Amsterdam -> Dulles -> Home

Only a sneak peek at the landscape of Amsterdam as we landed
After a brief layover in Amsterdam, I remember boarding our final flight for Dulles feeling more relaxed now that 7-8 hours of our trip (air time) was already complete and comfortable enough to actually get some sleep this go round. But I ended up being wired from the trip and all I had just experienced and also sad to be heading home so much so that I do not believe I got even a wink of sleep on the last leg of our trip (also a 7-8 hour flight).
It was hard to say goodbye to our new friends at Mattaw and it was equally hard to say goodbye to the team that had become my family after two weeks together in another country. It has been a blessing to see them more than expected on weekends in Williamsburg since we returned. In fact, just last weekend I randomly saw 10 of my "Kenya family" around town. How sweet it is to stay in touch and what a blessing it is to have them in my life.
For any of you who have read along and have a desire to be a part of God's work in other cities, states, or countries, my only advice is to GO! It may change the lives of others, but it will most certainly change yours.
And I will end with the beginning...
The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD’S favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion — to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting (mattaw) of the LORD for the display of his splendor. Isaiah 61:1-3



No comments:
Post a Comment