Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Hayley's Wedding Day

Oops...I accidentally posted this awhile ago before I was finished!

It almost seems ridiculous that we are closer to my sister's 1 year wedding anniversary than her actual wedding day at this point and I am just now posting about it. Part of it relates to wanting to complete my Kenya posts first (I am giving up on this) and part of it relates to the fact that I was so busy enjoying the day that I do not have many photos from the big event (browsing through them now, maybe I have more than I thought!). For someone who likes to document anything and everything, it was very hard to look back and realize that I wasn't able to capture much of the day myself. BUT...I enjoyed taking in each moment without being behind my camera and fully engaging in and savoring the day's events.

My sister's wedding day was a special day of celebrating the beginning of her life with Jerry and sharing in that with so many of our family, close friends, and neighbors. Being surrounded by people we love and who have cared for us over the years was almost overwhelming. My heart felt so much joy that day.  And I did not want that day to end. Here are some of the moments that I was able to capture...    

Whitney, who I knew when she was little and even babysat for, did Hayley's makeup and hair (and mine as well). She did an amazing job! I always dread getting my hair done because I rarely like it, but this time was a major exception. I loved what she did on both of us!
 
Keira, our second cousin, was the flower girl. She acted really shy at the rehearsal and somewhat objected to getting her hair done, but when it came time for her to perform, she was great!  And adorable! She was a little too nervous to walk down the aisle by herself so she walked with me. There are some sweet photos of this and so many other moments that the professional photographer took. Eventually I will get my hands on those and be able to share. Unfortunately, I did not get any with Landon, the ringbearer (and another second cousin). He was the cutest and so entertaining. The neatest part about him being in Hayley's wedding is that his Mom (my oldest cousin on my Mom's side) was in our Mom's wedding.
 
Hayley and her bridesmaids got ready in a large room at the Chapel that holds children's church so there was lots to keep Keira entertained while we waited.   
Opening up her gifts from Hayley (more toys to keep her entertained)...
 
How special it was to have both grandmothers at the wedding...especially Grandma who is 90 years old and prefers to stay at home in her pjs. She gets around ok (and usually refuses a walker or cane) but agreed to a wheel chair since the length of the aisle at the Chapel is quite long. It was a full day but she was a trooper and made it nearly to the end of the reception that night.
Hayley and Jerry did not "see" each other before the wedding, but they did walk back to back to get a few different photos before the ceremony started. Although I felt like I shouldn't be an onlooker of this private moment, I was glad to get a picture.  
We had high hopes of getting these pictures below plus some family photos done outside before the wedding. BUT, the weather did not cooperate AT ALL. It was pouring pretty much the whole time before (and up until) the ceremony started. So the background of these photos is a little less than desirable. 

Hayley obviously enjoyed us putting on her veil!
  
 
  Jerry & his entertaining groomsmen
 
 One of the highlights of their reception was the "father/daughter" and "mother/son" dances (and, of course, Hayley and Jerry's choreographed dance, but no photos of that!). After Hayley danced with Dad and Jerry danced with his Mom, they invited all mothers/sons and fathers/daughters onto the floor. There were so many of those relationships at the wedding that the dance floor was full. It touched me to be a part of this.

Father/Daughter(s)
Mother/Son
I had made it through the day without tears...of course, until I saw Grandma "dancing" with 4 of her 5 sons. This was one of those special moments from the reception that I will always remember. 
Sparklers to send off Hayley & Jerry!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment