Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mouse House

And I'm not referring to Disney World!  I woke up around 4:00am this morning with the sensation of something on my ankle.  (This was especially unsettling (although I didn't even realize how unsettling at the time!) considering that I have woken up multiple mornings recently with seemingly-new-oddly-shaped-bright-red bug bites in some less than ideal places. (Yes, I do wash my sheets frequently!)  Of course, I'm not sure if these bites were actually from being outside the night before and I just didn't realize it at the time, but it's still not a good feeling to be eaten by bugs when I'm not aware of it.)  I laid there absolutely frozen trying to determine if I was dreaming or just extra sensitive from the 3 nasty bites still making me itch like crazy.  Moments slowly ticked by and at the instant I felt the same sensation higher up on my leg and also on my ankle, I startled awake and opened my eyes. 

*Prepare to be grossed out.*

I awoke to realize that there was A MOUSE IN MY HOUSE.  Let me clarify...I awoke to realize that there was A MOUSE IN MY BEDROOM.  Let me further clarify...I awoke to realize that there was A MOUSE IN MY BED! 

I am aware that I am taking a big chance here.  I may completely gross out my few blog readers so much that they may never ever come to visit me ever again.  Unfortunately, I just couldn't help but share my rude awakening this morning.  And not to worry, I think this may be the trigger for finally calling pest control! 

Let me explain a little knowledge I had beforehand.  A few weeks ago, I *thought* I may have heard some scratching in the wall behind my bed.  It freaked me out but it didn't last long so I thought I was probably dreaming or that it was just my neighbor I was hearing through the wall.  (Denial was the best way to deal with this, of course.)  I heard something similar last week one evening when I was downstairs, but it lasted longer and sounded like it was more in the front of my house.  When I went upstairs to brush my teeth that same night, I heard the same noise louder in the ceiling of my bathroom.  This gave me the heebie jeebies, but I comforted myself with calming thoughts:

I've only heard these noises in the wall, so even if it's gross, whatever it is will stay in the wall. 

With work so crazy these days and me needing as much good sleep as I can get, surely nothing will keep me from sound sleep. 

Once I fall asleep, little noises will not matter because I will just sleep right through them. 

I have enough on my plate, certainly I won't have to deal with rodents in my house. 

I've already had a bout with slugs in my kitchen so that's about as bad as it can get, right? 

WRONG.  I suppose my calming thoughts should have been more realistic!

The chances of me sleeping well on any particular night in the near future are very slim.  I've even considered sleeping in my car. Let me circle back on one thought.  I'm really unsure about what caused me to wake up in the wee hours this morning.  I'm just praying that that thing was not anywhere on me! 

There's nothing like a good mouse scare to get the blogging jump-started again.  I'm so backlogged these days that it's not even funny.  Hopefully, I can get back into it with some more heartwarming stories soon.

Earthquakes & Hurricanes & Mice...oh my!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kim! What an awful way to be woken up. I hope you can sleep tonight. We had a few interrupted nights of sleep last year because I was sure I heard a mouse scratching above our heads. We set traps in the attic, but never caught anything. After awhile we didn't hear any noise. Hopefully your mouse will go away or you (or a professional!) can catch him. I will still come visit you, mouse or no mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEKKK!!! What a nightmare! If only it had been a nightmare and not reality!

    ReplyDelete